OPS (Open Parking System) is a system for the real-time management and integral control of urban parking area.
It is currently the only system that guarantees rotation through real-time control of maximum stay limit and time of return to the zone.
The situation today in cities, where the number of automobiles increases while available space decreases, generates a demand for parking that has a negative influence on traffic circulation. By management of public parking, we understand the regulation of this parking with the goal of:
- Fomenting access to business and services: ROTATION.
- Alleviating parking problems for residents.
- Encouraging a transfer to Public Transportation, thereby reducing traffic and pollution.
Traditional management systems do not allow regulating urban parking in an efficient manner, since it is possible to buy new tickets without moving the cars. This establishes a toll but does not limit the stay and therefore:
- Rotation is not guaranteed and the objectives of municipal ordinances are not met.
- Information is manual and dispersed. There is no control over management, and real-time evaluation of observance is impossible.
- It is not possible to act on the observance ratios or to adopt more efficient policies using information from the system.
Through real-time centralization with control by license number, the OPS system allows guaranteeing observance of the ordinance; i.e., maximum allowed parking time and required “return” time:
- No car can obtain successive tickets without leaving the zone for a minimum period corresponding to return time.
- Surveillance is automatic:
- The system surveys; human error disappears.
- Automatic detection of repeat offenders.
- Security. Cars that have been robbed are detected immediately.
- It is possible to apply exponential tariffs that reward rotation and penalize long stays.
The system thus allows sectoring the Regulated Area (COLORS) by different uses, attractions, etc.
System architecture is based on the real-time centralization (connection) of the different elements that make up the system:
This architecture allows guaranteeing rotation since users obtain their parking tickets with the license number of their car and parking time is granted from the control center based on parking history.
Thus, as an example, depending on the way the parking meters are configured, they can work in “stand-alone” mode, since configuration flexibility is one of the main characteristics of the system.
OPS Parking Meters (PDM):
The OPS Parking meter has been designed in a completely modular way, so that the customer can choose the characteristics, operating method and user interface of the parking meter depending on the concrete requirements of its implantation. Among the main configurable characteristics, the following are notable:
Communication mode: It is possible to configure and modify remotely the mode of communication between the parking meter and the control center:
- PERMANENT: The parking meter is always connected for consulting the Control Center on parking possibilities, real-time notification of operations, etc.
- PERIODIC: According to a configured frequency, the parking meter sends data associated to all operations, separating them by type if necessary.
- LOCAL: Alarms only.
Remote updating of the software and tariffs are authorized in all cases where communication is available.
The main characteristics of OPS parking meters are:
- Support for multiple communication networks.
- Telephone: GPRS/UMTS.
- Dedicated network: 422/485/optic fiber.
- Complete and Vandal-proof Alphanumeric Keyboard.
- Multiple means of payment:
- Credit Cards.
- Virtual Purse/Chipcard (can be used by OTA users, residents, etc.)
- Allows restitution of time not consumed by the users.
- Cell phone/Web
- User Interface: graphic and intuitive.
This interface presents a major advantage compared to traditional parking meters: the OPS parking meter has a graphic interface that allows optimal clarity for user operation:
- LCD 240x128 + Time Display
- TFT 10.4”
In the case of the TFT screen, the operating mode is identical to that of an ATM, allowing conversion of the parking meter into an information point for the user:
- Relevant telephone numbers.
- On-duty pharmacies.
- Bus and Metro lines.
Meets accessibility standards for disabled individuals.
PDA and Visual CAR:
Surveillance of the service and imposition of sanctions is done via telematics, through the use of PDAs with an application designed and developed specifically for the service so that:
- The system decides when to levy a fine, thus avoiding human errors.
- Thorough monitoring of guards is possible.
Among the principal notable characteristics of the application for surveillance and imposing sanctions, we can emphasize:
- Permanent communication.
- Fines can be paid from the moment of imposition.
- Automatic Imposition of Fines.
- The system decides, not the guard.
- Minimizes processing time.
- Warnings for users of time exceeded.
- Identification of repeat offenders.
- Control of parking space availability.
- The system allows real-time calculation of parking spaces associated to the service, classified by sections and assigned to surveillance routes. In this way, statistics on spaces and their occupation are available in real time, allowing re-direction to less-occupied zones.
- Reception and dispatch of messages.
- Communication between the base (control center) and guards is bi-directional and supported by the application, with predefined messages.
In the same way, Visual CAR, through a similar surveillance application, allows digitizing the license number more efficiently and provides automatic consultation of the state of the vehicle at the Control Center. This allows obtaining:
- Statistics on occupation in real time.
- An efficient tool for study of traffic management.
- Study of Rotations and Residents.
- Elimination of double parking and illegal parking in:
- Bus stops.
- Taxi lanes.
User Cell Phone:
The main advantage of this service is that it allows carrying out all available parking meter operations without having to go to the meter; i.e., via remote control.
- Extension of previous parking spaces.
- Payment of fines.
- It is not necessary to leave a ticket in the vehicle, saving time.
- Comfort and security are ensured.
- Anywhere, through a simple and intuitive procedure.
- Payments are immediately recorded.
- Via Web, the user can consult all movements and charges associated to the service, as well as the monthly invoice.
The Control Center constitutes one of the fundamental parts of the OPS system.
- Real-time control of operations:
- Guaranteeing rotation and limited parking time.
- Real-time control of vending machines:
- Real-time functioning of alarms, operations, fines, etc.
- Configuration and Updating by remote control.
- Exhaustive storage.
- Automatic specific reports for municipalities.
- INFORMATION: NOT DATA.
- Decrease in the number of machines.
- With data centralization, any user can extend parking time via remote control without having to go to the parking meter, thus requiring a smaller number of vending machines.
Based on online centralization, the OPS architecture provides users, system administrators and guards with a large number of advantages over traditional systems, as summarized below according to the beneficiary.
- The parking meter presents a simple visual interface, like an automatic ATM machine, through the use of a TFT screen in advanced mode.
- Possibility of extending parking time progressively via remote control, without having to return to the vehicle.
- Easy payment:
- It is not necessary to go to the parking meter.
- It is not necessary to leave a ticket in the vehicle.
- Centralized payment allows remote extension and refunds.
- Multiple payment possibilities (Cash/Bank Card/Prepaid Card/Cell Phone/Internet).
- Possibility of refund of the amount corresponding to non-utilized parking time.
- Information Point: the parking meter is capable of providing useful information:
- City Metro, Bus.
- On-duty Pharmacies.
- Municipal Information.
- Security: SUPERVISES THE SYSTEM.
- Impossible to sanction a vehicle with a valid ticket.
- Control of license numbers, not of tickets.
- Increases monitoring efficiency and therefore respect of ordinances.
- The system warns if a ticket is on the verge of expiring or whether it has already expired and by how much.
- Detection of repeat offenders.
- Robust and bi-directional communication between the base and guards.
Team Leaders / Maintenance:
- Online Alarm Information through PDA consultation; reception of SMS or E-mail.
- Real-time preventive maintenance:
- Battery Level.
- Paper Level.
- Level of coverage.
Allows planning maintenance tasks, thereby reducing costs and maximizing machine availability.
- Paper jams.
- Printing errors.
Maximizes machine availability.
Administrators (Municipal / Concessionaire):
- Only system that guarantees rotation with no return time.
- Exhaustive recording guarantees administrative transparency.
- Access to information according to user profile.
- Generation of information, not simply data.
- Anticipate future needs: FLEXIBILITY.
- The application on WCE is independent of PDA model.
- Municipal information related or not to the Service.
Service to the Public:
- Recording of all operations.
- Minimizes the possibility of error, providing arguments and security when facing customer complaints.